Facts about the Home Modification Program.
- Through an application and home evaluation process, clients have the option for home or rental apartment alterations that not only increase accessibility, but also provide a safe home environment for themselves and families.
- HomeMod improves a client’s quality of life and the ability to fully participate in employment, recreation and educational opportunities.
- Our HomeMod program also increases accessible housing for all 600,000 individuals with disabilities living in the city of Chicago.
- Since 1999, the HomeMod program has completed 600 modification projects and is a pillar in the disabilities community, where very few programs like it exist.
- Home Modifications have allowed individuals with disabilities to return to the workforce. From 2005 to 2010, there has been 6% growth in the number of our HomeMod recipients reentering the workforce, suggesting that the HomeMod program is helping individuals with disabilities become productive and active members of their communities.
- Meals on Wheels Chicago believes the HomeMod program is the first step in self-sufficiency and is proud to partner with the Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities in an effort to make Chicago the most accessible city in the nation.